Did you guys notice, the new iPhones are bigger? Sure our technology can do more, but now we have more in our pockets. Luckily, the days of carrying every card, receipt and bills in your wallet "just in case" are far behind us. Not only do fat bulges in your back pocket look bad and cause unnecessary stress and wear to your clothing (and your body, guys), there's simply no need for hauling all that stuff around with you every day! Keep reading to learn about our wallets that can help you downsize, and our tips on how to lighten your wallet load:
1. 5 cards or less We're not gonna argue with carrying an ID and debit card. We're also on board with carrying a credit card, and subway card or metro pass, even an access card for work. Everything else can go from your everyday wallet. Scared? Try it for a day... then a week... Some cards might creep back in if you let 'em, but we bet you'll be happily surprised at what you don't miss. Plus, we can help you. We have several products that can help you easily slim your wallet during this transition.
2. Go digital Store electronic versions of 90% of your cards, especially all those loyalty cards and infrequently used other cards. Some free apps we've tried are KeyRing and Card Mate. Look for an app that is password protected (duh). Then there are apps such as Dashlane and LifeLock that go above and beyond – great if you're looking to do more than just save your grocery-store discount card and local cafe punchcard.
3. Take pictures of your receipts No reason to store receipts (or mementos) in your wallet – your wallet is not a library. Let an old shoebox be your nostalgic archives, and use apps like Evernote or Concur to keep electronic copies of receipts. Or, simply take a picture of the receipt to keep track of it. YOU CAN DO THIS. YOU CAN SLIM YOUR WALLET.
4. Carry less cash While having some paper money on you is a good idea in general, unless you're doing something on the shady side there's no reason to carry a wad of cash on your person daily. Most everywhere accepts plastic, and there are a number of convenient services to limit the need: Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Venmo and Cash – just to name a few.
5. Get a thinner wallet Whether it's psychological or physical, having a slimmer wallet is a great way to reinforce the idea and behavior of carrying less! Discipline, young grasshopper. If you’re feeling adventurous, try our Wally Bifold. This guy is designed to carry 12 cards and all of your cash with his sneaky pull-tab access and interior money clip. Did we mention he is half the size of a regular wallet? Or if you're feeling extra bold, spring for something like the Wally Sleeve – we designed him to be just a slip of leather with a handy pull-tab, resulting in the slimmest wallet imaginable that still gives you easy access to your now minimized everyday carry.
Aaaaahhhhhh, relief. Your wallet is now a handsome and manageable size! We told you it was easy to slim your wallet! Your jeans will thank you, your spine will thank you, and YOU will thank you. If you're carrying around a Costanza clunker, take a picture of it and tag us @distilunion. Bring it on, try to shock us with your worst. The first step is admitting that you have a problem... And Distil Union is here to help you slim your wallet.
Hear the team’s latest design insights. Stay in the loop on the best deals.