State Bags recently interviewed our industrial designer, Nate Justiss, for some insights on our 4-year-old product design start-up and newly opened Objective Design Shop. We wanted to share Nate's insightful answer to State's thought-provoking question: What advice would you give yourself ten years ago?
If I could go back in time and give myself advice beyond buying all the Apple stock I could afford, it’d be what I tell everyone who is 10 years younger than I am:
1. Live beneath your means - save as much as you can so that you learn to live off of very little.
2. Surround yourself with good and talented people who can teach you.
3. Keep your eyes open. Your job is only part of the equation. Pay attention to what else is going on around you.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for a job. Go after what you want to learn about. Your education is just beginning.
5. Quit! Don’t be afraid to move on when you’ve learned enough. If you’ve followed number 1, it won’t be a big risk.
Read the rest of the interview over at State Bags, and come on up to chat with Nate in person at our design studio, 525 King Street upstairs – where you can also shop our selection of wonderful State Bags!